Mathematics is a mandatory course that is studied substantially in each of Years 7–10 with at least 400 hours to be completed by the end of Year 10. Satisfactory completion of this course will be recorded, with a grade, on the Record of School Achievement (RoSA). In Years 9 and 10, students are streamed into classes according to the different stages of the Mathematics syllabus. The Standard classes complete Stages 5.1/5.2. The Advanced classes complete Stages 5.2/5.3. Each stage is progressively more challenging and demanding. During these years, students have the opportunity to move between classes based upon their performance and work rate.
Mathematics is used to identify, describe and apply patterns and relationships. It provides a precise means of communication and is a powerful tool for solving problems both within and beyond Mathematics.
In addition to its practical applications, the study of Mathematics is a valuable pursuit, providing opportunities for originality, challenge and leisure. The aim of Mathematics in K–10 is to develop understanding and fluency through inquiry, explaining and connecting mathematical concepts. Students choose and apply problem-solving skills and mathematical techniques, communication and reasoning.
More About Mathematics
Students will learn to
- Ask questions in relation to mathematical situations and their mathematical experiences;
- Develop, select and use a range of strategies, including the use of technology, to explore and solve problems;
- Develop and use appropriate language and representations to communicate mathematical ideas;
- Develop and use processes for exploring relationships, checking solutions and giving reasons to support their conclusions;
- Make connections with their existing knowledge and understanding using mathematics in the real world.
- Financial mathematics
- Rates and ratios
- Non-linear relationships
- Linear relationships
- Algebraic techniques
- Data analysis
- Surface area and volume
- Properties of geometrical figures
Got a Question?
Fill out the form below and we will be in touch.